Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Mosquito mayhem: League City core left out

Sorry for sounding like a broken record, but sometimes I have to raise a wider bit of hell and I need pictures to do it because it makes for more effective URL-emailing.

The "urban" core of League City, including Centerpointe, has reportedly not yet been sprayed for mosquitoes, whereas most of the rest of the city has.  And in the case of west LC, not once, but twice
This is a screengrab of the map published for August 31
This is a screengrab of the map published for September 3
Just a damned minute here... is this for real?!  West League City and Friendswood got sprayed twice, and us zero times?  What is up with that? 
Furthermore, the schedule is not looking promising for us right now.  Neither is it via the recorded message of spray schedule. 

Screengrabbed from this site
I've never given this much thought before now, but if you were to compare assessed property values vs. likelihood of getting a timely mosquito spray, I think you might see a bit of a positive correlation here.  All except for us (the red-headed suburban stepchild of the urban center), and Mar Bella to the extreme east (do they maybe hire their own private service?)
Sorry for getting into a crappy tone over this issue, but I just opened my refrigerator to get a snack, and I swear to God, a mosquito flew out of it.  I've killed four mosquitoes at my desk just in the writing of this one blog post.  My husband has Mosquito Control on speed dial and sits in his chair thumb-punching repeated requests.  I can't even begin to count the number of mosquito bites we are getting inside of our home every day at this point.  And I can't go outside without a bandana wrapped around my nose and mouth and safety goggles on my eyes.  I'm not kidding. 

So tomorrow I'll call Mosquito Control and ask them that question:  "Have you chosen to exclude central League City because you think it's Old Town and only lower-income people live here?  Do property values have anything to do with why you've sprayed west LC and Friendswood twice already??"  Yes, that's stooping low, but desperate times call for desperate measures. 

Updated September 5, 2013:  Just to underscore the seriousness of the perspective I'm trying to convey here, I had my teenager count the number of new mosquito bites she received this morning.  It's only 7 a.m. as I write this, and so far today, she has gotten sixteen new bites - five when she let the dog out to do her morning business, and eleven more going from home to school bus and from school bus into the school.  That's not 16 total bites - that's 16 new bites just in the first hour of today

And that's on a child who was highly motivated to minimize the number she's receiving.  If she hadn't been actively working to combat the mosquitoes, she wouldn't have gotten 16 - she would have gotten 160. 
Nearby areas in which properties like these are found don't seem to be much of a priority at the moment. 

But you're in luck if instead you happen to live in South Shore, Tuscan Lakes, or Westover.  The first digit on your sales price wouldn't be the same as these, however. 

Random active listing screengrabs from HAR.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.