Friday, October 12, 2012

More on the public safety building

Following up on this morning's post, I surfed through the League City website today to see what additional information I could find about the new public safety building.  I find that details in general are difficult to extract from this site - in fact, I did not find the plat map for this development until I started Googling to see if I could find a community contact person within the Patton subdivision which is north of the existing municipal complex (in other words, until I was looking for something that had nothing directly to do with League City itself). 

Anyway, here is the way the tract is defined in this document:
Note that north is toward the upper right-hand corner, not straight up as it usually is with the maps that I sketch out. 
And this is what it's supposed to look like:
I screengrabbed it from this document rather than simply referring to it because PDFs can sometimes have very short lives on the internet.  Note the existing police station for scale. 
One of the first things I noticed about this design?  No sidewalk.  How is it that LC is exempt from including sidewalks where any other development would be required to include them?  If I had all kinds of time on my hands, I'd look up the answer to that.  They can spend $33 million taxpayer dollars on this thing but they can't afford a bloody sidewalk in front of it??  Apparently the great Centerpointe Bridge to Nowhere is destined to remain just that.   

This document does not state how many cells the jail will include.  It does mention that the design includes 286 parking spots.

Something else noteworthy from this document - the statement "2011 Master Mobility Plan recommends that West Walker Street be expanded from a 2 to a 4-lane roadway sometime after 2015".  This table accompanies that statement:
Excerpted from the same document.
That one is a head-scratcher to me.  Why have all the flanking improvements been designed as they are if this right-of-way is scheduled to gobble up forty extra feet (presumably 20 more feet on each side) within about three more years?

As is often the case, I have more questions than answers at this point. 

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine there'd be no sidewalks with the project. It boggles the mind! - what with the recent work to make intersections, such as Hwy 3 & Walker, pedestrian friendly. There also seems to be a proposal for a hike and bike trail that runs the entire length of Walker tucked away in a project called PK1104 that runs counter to this design as well.

    ReplyDelete

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.