Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Lost and found

If the partial number 2287 means anything to you, it might be in your interest to contact me via centerpointe.blog on gmail and explain why. 

I found an item the other day while walking the dog, and I contacted the POA to see if anyone had reported a loss of any kind, but the only lead to come out of that had to do with a lost piece of jewelry, which this ain't. 

It got me to thinking that there must be a better way of linking up losers (for lack of better term) and finders.  We typically do this in Centerpointe via the neighborhood newsletter coordinator, who might be kind enough to send out an email blast making an inquiry if someone requests it. 

But that's really not the best way to do it.  Some people experience an uncontrollable conspiracy of circumstances that result in their losing an item, and that's understandable, but others are just plain sloppy or lazy. The sloppy folks don't necessarily need to be enabled via an email that intrudes upon four hundred families.  Especially when their "lost" items are dogs (which are the most common trigger of such e-mail blasts), dogs that they didn't bother to put collars and tags on in the first place. 

Anyway, I went looking on the internet for alternatives, and found this site as the top Google search result:
URL here.
It looks like a good idea, but upon searching in it, I don't see much evidence that folks in our zip code are really using it much.  There aren't that many listed items across Houston as a whole, and most of those that are listed are, well, dogs

So I don't know what the answer is here, but there's the question, FWIW.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.