Monday, October 29, 2012

Hunter's moon 2012

It looks like it's just about bright enough to jump down out of the sky and slap you upside the head, does it not?
Moon Over West Walker Street,
around 8 p.m. tonight.
Tycho is eyballing you here.
It's hard to miss. 
We got lucky with this one
because the cold front of 2 days ago
left the local air very clear.
As EarthSky explains, this moon is referred to as Hunter's moon, being the full moon following the Harvest moon which, in turn, is the full moon closest to the Autumnal Equinox
 
That's all very technical, I know, which is why it needs to be counterbalanced by something far more lyrical.  Decades before there were lots of computer-enhanced vampire figures running about the big screen, there was Sting with "Moon Over Bourbon Street", the simple but intoxicating melody of which comes back to my mind every time I witness a brilliant sky spectacle such as tonight's. 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.