Monday, June 24, 2013

Educational access, Part 1: CCISD Parental Advisory Committee

Within the past couple of months, I've had fresh concerns with the depth and breadth of access that CCISD students currently have to educational content for which the taxpayers have already footed the bill. 

My concern was motivated by our family's individual plan for our child's education, although it comes coincidentally on the heels of the $367 million bond referendum that passed last month.  Part of the resulting mandate involves increasing computerized access to educational content, and CCISD has associated the statement "We believe learning can occur any time, any place, and at any pace" with the new initiatives. 
Screengrabbed from this CCISD site
It would appear that I'm not the only parent with concerns, or at least extremely-motivated interest in this issue.  Last Monday, CCISD announced a summer volunteer opportunity to help flesh out what this initiative actually means in practical terms.
I'm screengrabbing only because internet pages like this tend to decay and disappear with time, and I want to be able to refer back to this announcement in future blog posts. 
I received this new volunteer opportunity announcement just this morning via a PTSA email blast.  I immediately clicked the link to volunteer, but this is the response I got:
According to CCISD communications coordinator Elaina Polsen (CCISD Office of Public Information) who responded to my inquiry via email, CCISD quickly received 120 applications and had to select 35 volunteer positions via lottery. 
There was such a large amount of interest that the application basically closed right after it opened.  For me, the lament "always a bridesmaid, never a bride" came to mind, except in my case, it's "always a commentator, never a contributor"!   Continuing in the idiom groove, I'm a day late and a dollar short with this one, but I do plan to continue monitoring and evaluating this issue, so stay tuned for future posts if this topic is of interest to you and your family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.