Tuesday, March 12, 2013

PanSTARRSless

You've seen those T-shirts that say, "My mother went to Florida and all I got was this lousy T-shirt"

Well, I went to the Interurban and all I got was this lousy picture of the Interurban.

I was using a long lens, which tended to amplify the impression of the high-towers.  Looking north toward West Walker Street.
I was actually out looking for Comet PanSTAARSYes, I know that a person is not supposed to face north while looking for it, but I was bored with seeing nothing whatsoever on my western horizon save for the good people of Centerpointe whose McMansions were subtending at a very inconvenient five-ish degrees even when viewed from as far away as the Interurban

It was inconvenient because PanSTAARS is very close to the horizon right now, so the houses may have been blocking it.  But I've got a few more nights to try this gig, and when the "toenail moon" manifests, it might become easier to spot by virtue of the handy reference point. 
Stardate.org has this graphic on their homepage right now, with the caption "Sneaky Comet".  Indeed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.