Thursday, July 11, 2013

Power outage in central Clear Lake

What exactly is going on in Clear Lake this afternoon?!
There appeared to be no electricity along either side of Bay Area Blvd. between Space Center Blvd. and Highway 3 at 1:20 p.m. when I had the misfortune of getting snared in the resulting traffic jam. 
I couldn't see anything obvious, but hell must have been breaking loose somewhere nearby. 
I'm thinking the power had been off for some time by that point, because someone had taken the trouble to barricade the parking lot entrances for HEB Clear Lake Market and the associated strip centers.  Stores not open. 
There were emergency vehicles...
...but the body language of these utility workers suggested that they had no idea what was going on. 
Every time I see the likes of this, I have a flashback to Hurricane Ike.  Remember how we all drove around for a long, long time with no traffic control?? 
It's a bit frustrating because I had just come out of Tokyo Bowl and then drove into this, after having sat at the sushi bar by myself for about 30 minutes reading all the local newspapers, which had no announcements regarding this which might have led me to avoid the area.  But there's no true local newspaper at this point, and there's no way to get real-time local bulletins either.  Hopefully better communications technology will develop in time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.