Friday, May 3, 2013

Swainson's swooping

I hope you're enjoying the most a-mazingly cool (64 degrees at 3:20 pm on May 3!!) Friday afternoon we greater Houstonians are sure to have for the next several months.  Some contractors are mowing the vacant property adjacent to Centerpointe's retention ponds, and if you were to look over there right about now, you'd see a beautiful Swainson's hawk wheeling and diving as he follows the mowing machine, hoping that it will flush a rabbit or some other small game toward his reach.

With one of Centerpointe Section 9's trees in the foreground. 
 
I don't have a lens long enough to do him justice, but you get the idea. 

Welcome back, dude!  Hope you had a nice flight, literally!
Screengrabbed from Wikipedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.