Friday, May 31, 2013

Southwest Inn fire

The statistics were against me on this one: two months after getting traffic-gridlocked in the Space Cleaners fire in Clear Lake, I was traveling with a couple of business associates in Sharpstown just as the Southwest Inn fire was building. 
At this point shortly after noon today, the thing was just starting to escalate wildly and the Southwest Freeway was still moving close to posted speeds.  That mobility was short-lived. 

We went to a business lunch on Hillcroft assuming that the whole thing would be under control by the time we were finished.  But it got worse - a lot worse.  The Southwest Freeway was made impassable by the wall of intense smoke.  I've never seen anything like this in my entire life. 
Anyway, a tragic day in Houston's history with four firefighters reported as perishing and others injured in this horrible event.  I join with the rest of greater Houston in wishing condolences to the families affected by this tragedy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.