Thursday, April 4, 2013

Clear Lake locavore linkpost

Galveston County Daily News published several articles within the past couple of days about healthy locavore-style eating.  If you have a subscription that allows you to read behind the paywall, these might be of interest.  Two of them lean toward the advertorial end of the journalistic spectrum, but I personally like that kind of thing.  As I described in this post, I tend to yell at home improvement TV shows the way my father yells at football broadcasts.  My yelling often takes the form of the complaint, "Arrrghhh....sourcing!!  Why aren't you giving me sourcing?!  Off-side!!"  These articles provide some sourcing, but without direct links, so I've assembled many of them here for reference:
  • This article from March 27, 2013 describes local folks raising backyard chickens.  We can't really do that kind of thing in Centerpointe for a number of reasons which I won't get into right now, but... 
Ain't happenin' in our microscopic back yards, but I have been encouraging a couple of local churches that sit on large parcels of land to consider a chicken-sharing venture.  Facilities like that are better equipped not to violate local ordinances or deed restrictions in the process.  And plenty of local folks would love to receive non-factory-farmed eggs.  And we don't have to drive too far to get to our local churches, so the distributional barriers are fairly easy to overcome. 
I've never been to Galveston's farmers market, but I've been told it's pretty good.  The Clear Lake Shore Farmers Market is probably the most accessible to "north county" and many Clear Lake residents, although Erma's does have a north-of-lake market. 
There are a couple of additional local start-up ventures of which I am peripherally aware, but not all of them desire to be publicized in any way, for reasons I won't get into.  At any rate, it's good to see the locavore movement continuing to grow. 
An internet meme quoting self-professed Libertarian environmentalist Joel Salatin, developer of Polyface Farm, which is located in the Commonwealth of Virginia.  I would credit the meme source if I knew who had created it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.