Friday, June 24, 2011

Fire away

A few words here about the League City Fire Department, it's current search for a paid Fire Chief, and some comments from a city resident whose house burned about nine months ago.

Last fall and winter, these signs appeared along Centerpointe Drive, near the pool and other areas:
Up until seeing these, I had no idea that our city's Fire Department was a 100% volunteer organization.  This surprised me, because with our upper-middle-class tax base, I guess I unconsciously expected a more formal or robust department structure, but apparently it's common for cities our size to have no paid firefighting employees.

Here's the part where I recap a story that I submitted to the October 2010 neighborhood newsletter.  During a business meeting, I encountered a League City resident who claimed that his house had burned down, and that it had been a needless event.  He alleged that between the time he dialed 911 and the time LCFD showed up, a full 30 minutes elapsed, such that a small kitchen stove fire had time to engulf most of his house and cause hundreds of thousands of dollars in damage.

The man described LCFD as being "absolutely unapologetic" about the fact that it took them so long to arrive, and he recommended that people keep an abundance of fire extinguishers distributed throughout their homes so that they will be able to respond to their own incipient fires, rather than relying on LCFD.

Of course, this man's account above represents only one side of that fire-fighting story, and I have no idea if his experience is typical or simply reflected a conspiracy of negative circumstances for LCPD on that particular day.  I will say that he was a medical doctor and his character seemed authentic.

And either way, there's merit to his advice:  there's no harm in having a good supply of fire extinguishers.  My husband and I bought several more and placed them strategically around the interior of our house, including mounting them on the walls inside our garage so they won't get buried in clutter.
www.wikipedia.org
Around the same time that this doctor's house burned, a search for a "half-salary" LCPD Fire Chief was announced.  I'm not sure how that kind of employment works logistically, because most people need full salaries to meet their personal financial obligations, but whatever - at least it's a start in further developing the department as League City continues to expand.

Today it was announced that the search has been narrowed to ten finalists.  So, despite the fact that League City has been hemorrhaging administrative talent, it seems that this hiring effort is proceeding.  Hopefully they will install a strong candidate and we'll all be better off for it.

In the mean time, be sure to check that your own fire extinguishers are present and in good working order.

3 comments:

  1. Based on the information above, I would have to say the good doctor is losing his mind. I am a volunteer firefighter in Legaue City and a homeowner in Centerpointe. I took the liberty of checking the call log for October 2010 and we had NO fires in our neighborhood or the city. Also, I could not find where we have ever had a fire in Centerpointe.
    I would suggest the doctor prescribe himself some meds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't a Centerpointe resident who said that, and it might have been September. I didn't ask either his address or the exact date of his incident. And yes, as I noted, his was only one side of that story. But he sure was emphatic about it in his own mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are correct and I thought about the fact that it could have been in a previous month or in another subdivision. Unfortunately, I cannot take back what I typed…sometimes I hate technology. I took it personal when I read the blog and I should not have, I should have followed the 24 hour rule! For that I am sorry, I should have acted more professional. I was not trying to be insensitive to the situation if it came across that way. I did think more about the extinguisher issue and it is a good idea to have at least two extinguishers in your home. In my opinion everyone should have one specifically for kitchen and grease fires and one for normal material fires. Also, they need to be checked because they do have a shelf life. If anyone has any questions regarding fire extinguishers or the proper use, do not hesitate to contact LCFD.

    ReplyDelete

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.