Thursday, June 16, 2011

Dash cam, Part 10: What the...

Have you ever found yourself driving serenely down the road, only to come upon something like this?!
State Highway 96 eastbound, descending from the rail bridge at State Highway 3.
At first I thought it was a small refrigerator but perhaps it was a bookcase or filing cabinet.  Whatever it was, it surely didn't belong in the middle of the highway where someone could more-easily-than-not hit it while going 55 mph.

And then as I was slam-on-the-brakes circumnavigating this potential disaster, a thought occurred to me: We're not in Houston anymore, Toto.  I didn't know what number to call.  Response to this type of situation is urgent but not exactly an emergency, so 911 does not seem like the best choice.  Does League City have 311 service?  Not from my cell phone - I tried.

It turns out that LCPD does answer their landlines.  I dialed 281-332-2566 (then press 1), and a real live human being answered promptly.  Might be a handy number to enter into your contact databases.

Yesterday must have been my particular day to dodge road hazards, because several hours after my close encounter with the above-referenced filing cabinet, the scene was this:
Clear Lake City Boulevard westbound, west of State Highway 3.
That dark thing in the right hand lane appeared to be a large section of St. Augustine sod pieces having fallen off a pallet truck.  Except this one was in Houston, Toto!
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.