Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Humming through a Tuesday

It's only Tuesday afternoon, but I'm guessing that these will be my favorite pics of the week.
Through the looking glass of my office window did suddenly to my wondering eyes appear the first hummingbird I've ever seen on our property in Centerpointe.  I don't know who he or she is yet, species-wise (I've sent out an inquiry). It may be a juvenile somethingorother with incomplete feather markings. 
Incidentally, as I was searching for a means of identification, I stumbled across a couple of sites (here and here) about the upcoming 2013 Texas Hummingbird Festival in Rockport.  Who knew there was such a thing?  I do know, however, that it only takes one hummingbird to make a person's day.
Wow!!

In a Facebook post yesterday, the Wildlife Center of Texas noted that hummingbirds are the sole pollinators for 160 different plant species.  The southward migration of hummers is currently underway, and ruby-throated hummingbirds migrate nonstop across the Gulf of Mexico.  A little thumb-sized thing can fly 550 miles in one stretch - amazing, eh? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.