Friday, February 10, 2012

Garden guest

About a year ago, I created a post describing snakes commonly found in our area.  Here's a new one for the list:  Texas brown snake.

My nice round pupils suggest that I'm completely harmless.
Native venomous snakes in the U.S. have "cat eye" elliptical pupils, whereas nonvenomous snakes generally have round pupils.  The notable exception is the brightly-colored coral snake, which has a round pupil. 
My small size tells you that I couldn't get my mouth around any part of you even if I wanted to (that's me wrapped around your blogger's finger).  Although it's always a good idea to wear gloves when handling wildlife. 
In all my years in Texas, this was actually the first one of these little native guys I've ever seen.  He was promptly transferred out of lawnmower's way and into one of my vegetable gardens where I'm sure he will do good work controlling insects.
I'll be on my slithery way now, thanks very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.