Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Sidewalk surprise

In case you haven't noticed, there are new sidewalk segments currently being installed around our part of League City.
SH 96 WB at Hwy 3, yesterday evening.
My teenaged daughter looked at these things rather quizzically and asked, "But how are people going to use them?  They don't seem to go anywhere."

My response was, "At this point, I don't know, and I don't care - all I know is that we have to start somewhere if we are every going to improve the cohesion and connectivity of this city.  Almost anything they do in this regard is better than nothing.  We've got nowhere to go but up."

Simultaneously with this construction effort, Houston Tomorrow released this article stating the obvious:
Wish they wouldn't use that funky title font.  It's difficult to read.
Screengrabbed this morning from:
http://www.houstontomorrow.org/livability/story/walkable-neighborhoods-more-valuable/
Yes.  Among other observations, when you can move freely from Point A (your house) to Point B (a target venue), you tend to spend your money at Point B because it becomes an alternate path of least resistance.  If I have to go to the trouble to get in my car, I might as well keep on going right on out of League City to some other venue - they all become more-or-less equivalent at that point.  But if I could instead walk my dog to conduct the same activity, I'd rather kill two birds with one stone.  But for that, I need a safe place to actually set down my feet in the act of walking.  A sidewalk fits that elusive description perfectly. 

Anyway, I like the juxtaposition of the sign with this new amenity, and with that, I shall close.

ONE WAY to increase property values and foster economic activity is to add sidewalks such that people can then move freely around the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.