Saturday, May 7, 2011

No trains in vain

Driving down El Dorado Boulevard toward Highway 3 a few days ago, I could not help but notice this auspicious sight:
Can you read the little yellow sign below the railway X??
"NO TRAIN HORN"?!  Did the good people of north Clear Lake finally manage to establish a quiet zone for themselves??  I lived about three miles north of this intersection for seven years, and I don't recall any quiet zones. 

A quick Google revealed absolutely no useful information regarding anything other than Houston's Washington Avenue Quiet Zone, so this will remain a mystery for now.  It's a mystery that I will contemplate the next time there's a rogue east wind and that 3:30 a.m. train wakes me up as it blares its way across East Walker Street in League City (if you're new to Centerpointe, that's the same rail line as the one depicted above, just farther south). 

Fortunately those east winds are fairly rare, because we don't want to listen to trains.   Stuff like this is far easier on the ears:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.