Friday, April 29, 2011

Waterscape before and after

Remember that kettle pond I blogged about two weeks ago

Well, surely you didn't think I'd leave it sitting forlornly in the middle of an empty patch of sod like this:
Nice, but an underwhelming presentation.
Well, we had this equally-forlorn weedy patch next to the house...
A back yard doesn't get any more boring
than this right here.
Resist suburban mediocrity in all its forms!!!
:-)
...and so, over the past two weeks, we turned it into THIS:
No longer boring!
We were going for Zen overtones,
but more animated.
I wanted color and vibrancy.
In that previous post, I also raved about Nelson Water Gardens.  Most of the individual supplies for the disappearing fountain came from there...
The SOUND that this thing makes is incredible!
Absolutely mesmerizing!
Water cascades down the ripples in the stone...
...and then disappears into the reservoir below.
Here's a shot from closer to the kettle pond:
It's getting harder and harder to actually go into the house.
Everyone hangs out here now.
This was a total DIY job, and it turned out to be the most fun project that we have ever undertaken.  I do not want to know what this would have cost if it had instead been professionally designed and built, but I was pleasantly surprised by the DIY price, which was somewhat less than emergency medical treatment for a dog with sago poisoning.  Drop me an email if you'd like technical details.
:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.