Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sundog surprise

If you happened to be gazing up at the heavens at about a quarter past two this afternoon, this is the remarkable sight that would have greeted you:

No, not my hand -
the optical phenomenon surrounding it!
It's called a sundog, a halo around the sun created by light refracting through ice crystals in the atmosphere.  I don't know much about these things, but I cannot recall another occasion where I saw one this vivid in greater Houston, especially with the characteristic rainbow colors as opposed to a plain white ring.  This is a natural phenomenon more typically associated with northern latitudes, at least in my limited experience.   But with all the unprecedented weather we've been having lately, nothing surprises me any more. 

And this sighting is yet another example of what Ferris Bueller said:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.