Saturday, January 7, 2012

Construction mystery solved

It's hard to miss all the dirt hitting the fan at the corner of West Walker Street and State Highway 96 (League City Parkway).
Clues as to my eventual identity:
(1) I'm on an arterial intersection.
(2) Nobody digs up that much dirt unless they have something really really big to bury.
As soon as I saw those dirt piles grow (and they got even bigger than what's shown in this pic), I knew it was likely to be a gasoline retail station: all that earthmoving is so that they can bury multiple storage tanks which are usually at least 10,000 gallons apiece.  For a short time, I held out a faint hope that it was yet another of my beloved Buc-ees stores, perhaps a twin to the one we are ever-so-fortunate to have at SH96 and Louisiana (when I moved to Galveston County to be with my husband, he consoled me for my Harris County losses by reminding me, "At least you'll be living closer to a Buc-ees now..."). 

Alas, some internet sleuthing revealed a potentially less exciting prospect:

Excerpted from
http://www.ultimateclearlake.com/stories/265150-business-new-business-licenses-issued-in-clear-lake
How the heck did I track that down??  Well, if you look at the dirt piles carefully, you can see planted beside them some crude spray-painted signs with the number "1114" facing both West Walker and SH 96.  Tradesmen erect those things so that all the subcontractors can efficiently route supplies to the correct construction sites.  Words are not expedient; all they typically use is numbers.  And there is no "1114 West Walker" so therefore the handpainted signs had to refer to a League City Parkway address. 

It amazes me the sheer volume of STUFF that gets posted to, and then left on, the internet for no obvious reason.  If you'd like to know more about the technical aspects of this patch of real estate, you can peruse this document, for instance:
Excerpted from this very lengthy URL:
http://bid.suntech-inc.com/files/01%20-%20PROJECTS%20BIDDING/02%20-%20RECENTLY%20BID%20PROJECTS%20AWAITING%20RESULTS/Shell%20Food%20Mart%20-%20League%20City,%20TX/Geotechnical%20Report.pdf
This is the reported general configuration of what the station will look like when built, according to that report:
Big one - ten pumps, apparently. 
But I bet they won't have breakfast tacos like Buc-ees.
As platted above, the station doesn't appear to consume the entire tract of land that borders Harvard Pointe to the south.  The CAD map currently shows that tract as undivided:

Excerpted from:
http://www.galvestoncad.org/PA/pdf/142-D.pdf
So with the publicly-available information I can find as of today, it's not clear what else will be built on that tract of land along with the gas station, or even if the development of the northern portion is planned yet.  That's an important question for at least six or eight Harvard Pointe families, who I'm sure will want their quality of life maintained (e.g., no bright lights over their fences, that sort of thing). 

If any of you, especially you potentially affected homeowners on Harvard Pointe, have received public relations overtures from the developers of this tract, please drop me a line - I'm just curious as to whether any more details are available.   Thanks.

And oh - if anyone would like more information about The Little Lake Jackson Corporation That Could, Did, and Will Continue To Do So, it's best to start at the top, so I recommend Houston Chronicle's road trip article about the Luling store (and you haven't lived until you've stopped at that place).  There's also "I Was a Buc-ees Virgin" by well-known Houston food critic Alison Cook, but at least as of that article, she had failed to succumb to the spell.  And oh,  - the Buc-ees in Pearland has its own Facebook page.  I guess we'll have to wait a bit longer for the League City Parkway store to attain a similar level of public endearment.  Meanwhile, we'll keep buying those breakfast tacos. 
;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.