Friday, June 28, 2013

Assassin bug

If you see some of these in your garden or landscaping, do not squash, spray, or otherwise kill them.
It's one type of "assassin bug", which preys on other insects and which can help prevent landscape damage.  They patrol all day long, like an insect version of a police force. 
That particular species of beneficial insect is known as a "milkweed assassin bug", but I see them all over our yard, not just on the milkweed plants. 
Milkweed.  I wonder if the bugs attained their bright orange color for the purposes of camouflage. 
They eat stink bugs and aphids, among many other pests.  The Texas state insect is actually the Monarch butterfly, but anything that eats stink bugs (native or invasive) is a close runner up in my book. 

If you look closely, you'll see a long proboscis tucked under the front of its body.  That's the deadly apparatus that siphons the guts out of other bugs.  Yummy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm forced to moderate comments because the spammers have become too much for me to keep up with. If you have a legitimate comment, I will post it promptly. Sorry for the inconvenience.